The Major Arcana – represents 22 archetypal aspects or stages of our journey through the wheel of life. It is helpful to imagine these 22 cards in a circle versus a line, as we step out of the linear world of cause and effect and into the circular world of unlimited possibilities.
In Pythagorean terms, a circle can be seen as a singular unit called a monad. A monad is the creator of many and the sum of all. It is both the beginning point and the container.
The first card in the Major Arcana is typically called the “Fool.”
In the Tree Spirit Tarot deck, the Fool “0” is the Wonderer, who is wondering.
Cards “1-22” represent the path one takes in finding their unique place in the world as they face the challenges and opportunities of life. Eventually a desire to return home becomes the ultimate goal.
Major Arcana – Trees on our Journey
- Wonderer – Birch – New Beginnings
- Magi – Almond – Soul’s Purpose
- Mystic – Gingko Biloba – Life Force
- Earth Mother – Fig – Co-creation
- Earth Father – Oak – Procreation
- Teachers – Redwood – Lessons
- Lovers – Pomegranate – Passion
- Chariot – Ash – Freedom
- Strength – Mangrove – Support
- Hermit – Banyan – Reflection
- Wheel of Fortune – Ceiba – Change
- Justice – Bristlecone Pine – Maturity
- Hanged One – Yew – Perception
- Death – Hickory – Shedding
- Temperance – Laurel – Moderation
- Devil – Apple – Shadow
- Tower – Eucalyptus – Obstacle
- Star – Hawthorn – Hope
- Moon – Willow – Intuition
- Sun – Orange – Joy
- Judgment – Olive – Honor
- The World – Baobab – The Return